Saturday, August 18, 2007

they say... "music soothes the soul"

Last night I fell in love... AGAIN!...

I fell in love, and a big reason why was because this time reminded me of the very 1st time I fell in love... although I mainly used 2 senses to capture the essence of this feeling... it was long waited and much needed... and perfect timing!

I went to a lounge last night where they have local artists... usually a few singers... possibly a rapper or two... maybe some groups... but last night... I was mesmerized...

The 1st performance was an Oakland singer by the name "Brianna" aka "Bri"... nice lil petite cutie with a nice voice... reminded me of a Kiesha Cole type of singer... the 2nd performer was also a singer but a lot more soulful, to put it in perspective she sang a Jill Scott song... and did a damn good job if I might add... they both had etremely short sets... so I was like damn they must not have many performances 2night...

At this point I was gonna go across the street to a club and do what I do... 2 of my boys from the east bay were hella like lets go over there... so when I was about 2 consider... I notice there is a band setting up... so enjoying live music like I do... I say "I wanna watch a lil bit of this to see what's up with this band"...

After about 20 minuts of setting up... this little ass stage has a DRUMMER, a KEYBOARDIST with 2 keyboards, a GUITARIST(wierd lookin dude...hahaha), a PERCUSSIONIST with the bongos and some maraca style instruments, a BASS PLAYER with an upright standing bass(one of my favorite sounds), and there's another keyboard set-up in front of everything... so I'm highly interested because the guys setting up their equipment jus give me the perception there's gonna be some HIP-HOP type of stuff goin on...

And it starts... an odd looking light skin dude with a clean ass purple and silver hoody walks on the stage as the bass player is playing what sounds like a classical music riff... and it speeds up as he plays it then the guitarist joins in and then to add to the experience I notice a SAXAPHONIST and TRUMPET PLAYER as they added their spark to this escalating music... then the guy in the purple hoody sits down and starts playing the shit out of his piano/keyboard... I mean he was beast on the keys and then the drummer joins in and this shit is rediculous... in my head I'm like "I aint goin no fuckin where til this shit is over"...

After they play this clean ass classical, hip hop infused routine the guy on the keyboard starts rapping... and the shit is right up my ally cuz its what I like to call REAL HIP-HOP!...

The performers name was KEV CHOICE(sorry didn't catch the bands name)... honestly (after careful evaluation) that was the best musical performance I've ever seen... the performer said him and his band had just come back off of tour with LAUREN HILL...

The performance continued with each song leading into the next... with solo's by some band members mixed in... they also mixed some classic west coast rap instrumentals into their set which was tight as hell...

I honestly don't think that lounge will see a much better performance than that... but then again I never would have thought I would see that one! (I LOVE HIP-HOP)

LAST NIGHT... I FELL BACK IN LOVE WITH MUSIC!!!!!

3 comments:

Smitty said...

Yeah that performance was on point. Kinda bitter sweat cause "A Bay-Bay" is the #1 song in the country and Kev Choice is a starving artist.

MsFreshBananaPuddin said...

Awww yall went to that, too bad I missed it. I went to the first one and enjoyed it...

MsP

kevolutionary said...

yo, thanks for the blog!!! That's dope!! Glad you enjoyed the show....check out my upcoming performances at myspace.com/kevchoice. I' may be starving now, but i'm getting ready to feast....peace